Pages

Monday, 5 November 2012

Figuring Out Self Publishing Success


For the past couple of months I’ve been reading a ton of blogs by authors who started out in similar situations as I have. I try to stick with self-published young adult (and if possible, fantasy) writers for advice, trying to figure out the successful ones’ secrets to success. And after hours upon hours of reading I’ve come up with ... nothing. Most of the more successful self-published stories, like Amanda Hocking, Susan Ee, Tammara Webber, Jamie McGuire, Erin Kern etc. don’t even seem to know why things have worked out so well for them. Every time I see an FAQ page, I immediately click on it, and usually there’s a “How are you selling so many books?” question, and funnily enough, a lot of the successful authors don’t know. Some of them say they didn’t market much, or if they did, it didn’t seem to make much of a difference in sales. Some of them soar to the top of lists right away, and some of them are unnoticed for years, and suddenly see a surge in sales, leading them to book deals within months.

 
 
I - wha? - but - WHY?!? I CAN’T WORK WITH THIS!
Honestly, knowing this scares the crap out of me. It basically means I have very little control of the situation, and all my hard work may be for nothing. I’ve spent about a year preparing my baby for this, and it’s really depressing to know that a lot of what controls my fate is luck. I know the most important thing is to have a good book, but I have come to the conclusion there’s a LOT more to it than that. Of course I plan to do the best I can to help the book do well (despite my gut-wrenching panic at the mere IDEA of marketing), but still. It’s terrifying, but at the same time, in some weird way, it’s a relief. This’ll already be stressful enough without feeling like a failure if it flops. Now I’ll know - it’s not necessarily me if it doesn’t do well. There are so many factors, invisible to me, that I can’t possibly predict what’ll happen. I’ll keep my expectations low. Yes, that’s what I’ll do. *clears throat* I plan to not sell a single copy.
There.
Now I’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Hopefully.
Oh, God.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Diana :)

    I'm a book blogger, so I can't help you in terms of experience. But, what I can say is that, as a reader, I'd buy a book with a nice professional cover. And you've got that nailed down!

    Next, is good writing, along with a strong plot with hopefully, a dash of romance. After reading the GR blurb, I think your book has it too :)

    The thing is to start getting your book known. And the first thing is to offer your novel to book bloggers for review or to do a blog tour. I'd love to do a blog tour for your novel.

    Contact me at selinaxu@ymail.com or just pop by my blog, Bookcase to Heaven™

    All the best for your book, I think you will be pleasantly surprised *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also love to help you, Diana.
    I have a book blog and I could try and spread the word about your book.
    Offering your book for review is the key to getting your book known. I LOVE the cover of your book ,the plot seems great and I'm very positive it's going to work out for you! : )

    If you want to contact, you can e-mail me at: dajanajata13@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dianna! I'll email you right away :)

    ReplyDelete