Pages

Saturday, 27 October 2012

Autocrit.com (and "Call Me Maybe" memes)

A few weeks ago I discovered possibly the most helpful writing tool ever.

Ever. 

Beta readers are awesome, don’t get me wrong. I’d be awful without them, in terms of characterization, plotting etc. But there are certain technical aspects of writing that unless you’re looking for specifically (which would be the most mind-numbingly boring job in the world to ask somebody to do for you for free), you might not even notice them. The lay reader might not even notice. To be honest, there were problems I didn’t even know existed that were in my writing until I used it. What is this magical tool?

 
 
 
Autocrit.com!  

It’s an online editing software designed to help you fix many of the technical problems in your writing. You put in a piece of text and it analyzes it for you. It’ll go through things like overused words (eg. reliance on adverbs, the senses, was/were, it/there etc), sentence variation and pacing. It will highlight what they believe to be your weak areas, and you can fix those problems as you go along.

When I first started I was furious. The majority of my text was usually highlighted, filled with the blaring red marks. I snottily decided I didn’t need to change anything. So what if I used “was” a lot? I write in the past tense! It only makes sense! But then I calmed down, and I checked it again, and sure enough, I began to notice my strong reliance on passive tense and simple descriptions – in other words, lazy writing. It took a long time to go through it, but I think it was worth it. The text is a bit more complex and less cliché, if anything. I have to keep reminding myself that this book is my first serious attempt and there’s so much I still don’t know about how writing works.  

So if you’re fairly new to editing, I’d suggest it. It’s a reasonable price for the work it does, and will help your technical writing fade into the background to not detract from your awesome story! If you're on the fence, they let you give it a free trial, so at least check that out.
 
~
 
On a more titillating note - I just discovered the world of memes! My goodness they're hilarious (*everyone groans*). I came across a bunch when I was searching up something about Carly Rae Jepsen and found all these awesome "Call Me Maybe" memes, like:
 
 
 
 
 
haha And like this one:
 

Hilarious, right? And:

 
*dies laughing* Okay, okay! Just one more! I saved the best for last:
 
 
 
THAT is how I want to be hit on! Aaaand done.



No comments:

Post a Comment